Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Eighth and Ninth must-have vinyl figures of 2008

Comicon isn't just about comics any more. To be honest, comics probably make up the smallest proportion of exhibitors these days. The show now embraces TV, film, computer games and all manner of related media and genres. And, to my delight, it also features urban vinyl and art toys. Most of the major manufacturers now choose Comicon to launch their new products and to show off their maquettes and prototypes. I admit that I did buy a few ...

I visited the Strangeco stand and got myself a special limited edition (produced for the show only) golden King Ken mini figure by James Jarvis of Amos Toys. The rest of the colour range is shown below and will be available soon. I missed out on the new King Kun figure ... it sold out in minutes.

I saw some colour variant prototypes of the Jim Henson City Critters set that I was raving about a few posts ago. They should also be available in a few months.

I also got myself a resin figure - the limited edition Tricycle Terror by the Stolle Art Studio. There are only 450 of them so I was very pleased with it.

And do you recall that back in January I was raving about Patrick Morgan's Whaleboy figure? Probably not. Well, now I have it at last and signed by the artist and the team behind it too. Woo hoo! Honestly, what a big child I am.

Finally, a cheery hoorah! for the larger ladies out there. In celebration of the voluptuous vamp, artist Spencer Davis (no, not that Spencer Davis) has been producing Booty Babes as limited edition sculpts for some time. But now he tells me that there will soon be a vinyl figure. I for one will be in the queue for them. They are truly something special.

7 comments:

Rob said...

Excellent posts on your whirlwind trip - well worth the wait! He he.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Ah ... there's so much more report yet ...

willow said...

Actually these vinyl toys are pretty neat. And I'll have to admit the Booty Babes are artistically cool!

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Love the Strangeco ones!

Btw I TAGGED YOU for a fun one back at mine

Stevyn Colgan said...

Willow - Hell yes! These kinds of art toys are brilliant. I love the fact that they're completely free of corporate tie-in or merchandising. They're just the artist's vision. As for Spencer's Booty Babes ... anything that sends the message that big can be sexy and that normal women do not look like stick insects is ok with me.

Sarah - I shall pop over and look pronto!

willow said...

My fave is that "Bride of Frankenstein" girl!

Normal women are not supposed to look like insects. ;)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Here here! Curves are cool.