Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Junkets with Hellboy, muffins with Dr Who

I went to an informal junket-type affair today to meet Guillermo del Toro, the director of such films as Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, Mimic, Blade II and soon-to-be director of the Lord of the Rings prequels The Hobbit and a second as yet unnamed feature. Today's meet was about the forthcoming Hellboy II: The Golden Army and a small group of us were lucky to see an advanced screening of some of the film. All I am allowed to reveal at this time is that it looks absolutely stunning; bigger, better, bolshier than Hellboy and twice as sexy. More will be revealed closer to the release date in August.

Guillermo is a very nice chap, very enthusiastic, very funny, very knowledgeable.

Which is an excellent description of my second catch of the day. I left the junket and headed onto Oxford Street to get a bite to eat. I ordered myself a ginger muffin and an Earl Grey Tea.
'Earl Grey tea? That's a bit stuffy isn't it?' said a familiar voice. The voice was accompanied by an equally familiar smile. I was being picked on by Tom Baker.
'So what are you having?' I asked.
Tom flashed those terrifying gnashers at me again and ordered a double-epresso. When presented with the receipt, he told the waitress, 'I don't need that. Receipts are for people with a future.'
I suggested that his career was pretty bouyant at the moment.
'Well, I've just done the voice-overs for the American version of Little Britain', he said, laughing. 'It's a bit fruity. Some of the jokes are very rude indeed. I suspect I won't get another series. I may never work again.'

Earl Grey tea? Stuffy? Shame on you Tom.

And then, to top off a really quite strange day, I was serenaded while I passed water. I grabbed another tea later on in Carnaby Street and, having now filled my bladder to capacity, needed the loo. So I waddled down to the basement lav and was going about my business when suddenly and unexpectedly the strains of Shania Twain's 'Man, I feel like a woman' came drifting under the door. Two women and a man were in the corridor outside the door performing a capella while someone filmed it. Very, very bizarre.

Welcome to London.

10 comments:

willow said...

I know Tom Baker from the film Nicolas and Alexandera. He played a very nasty Rasputin!! I have the DVD and will have to dust it off and watch it again, in honor of your meeting.

I'd order a double espresso if he was flashing those gnashers at me, too.

The Factory said...

All very impressive, but the big question is, have you met John Virgo ?

Stevyn Colgan said...

He was a very nasty Rasputin ... he's also been Sherlock Holmes, the bad guy in 'The Golden Voyage of Sinbad', a mad sea captain in Blackadder and spent seven years as Doctor Who. He's a bit of a national treasure is our Tom. And such a nice chap.

Jason Arnopp said...

Good God, sir, I am riddled with envy. I've met Del Toro and agree he's a fine man, but Tom Baker? It's one of my life's ambitions to merely share breathing space with the fellow. Remarkable work.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Factory - John Virgo? I can only aspire to being that lucky.

Jason - In one of those bizarre coincidences that happen every so often to keep us on our toes, I was admiring your birthday card on your blog as your comment arrived. It's been a very weird day ...

As for Tom, yes, it was nice to bump into him. I have several friends in the advertising business who've worked with him often and he's generally considered a joy to be with ... unless you're advertising tarpaulins, apparently (There's a story there).

Jon M said...

Cor. Nothing like that ever happens round here! I've never bumped into patrick Troughton in Ellesmere port Arcades...mind you he is dead...so he'd probably fit in...Hellboy2 looks fandabbydozy!

Jon M said...

And that was 'muffin to write home about'...sorry had to go there...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Jon - it's official. You get the bad pun award this week. Which, I suspect, is the most exciting thing to have happened in Ellesmere Port for some time ...

'Fandabbydozy?' Do I smell a secret Krankies fan? Or just a Krank?

John Soanes said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the Krankies was a private bedroom game between Ian and Jeanette that should have remained as much.
J

Stevyn Colgan said...

Oh thanks a million John. That image is burned into my mind now. 'Ok Jeanette ... I'll play a big dopey Scotsman with a perm and you be a small naughty schoolboy ...'

Shudder.