Monday, May 12, 2008

A walk by the Thames

The weather is still glorious so we took the dogs down to the Thames for a nice long walk today. The stretch that we normally do is the bit between Marlow and Henley on Thames. It's very pretty, free of crowds and shops (though not cows) and always a great place to relax. Plus it's only about 15-20 minutes away.

It was lovely to hear the first cuckoo of the year. The little bugger was very insistent and, even though we must have walked 4-5 miles, Dawn and I could hear him/her the whole time. Unless there was more than one and they were doing a kind of 'Twilight Bark'. But in the day. And with birdcalls instead of woofs.

Talking of woofs, our dogs Willow and Buster thoroughly enjoyed themselves too. They love the water and it's a hard job keeping them out of it so we've given up trying (which may explain the curious lingering smell in my car). They're also very sociable animals and they enjoy meeting and playing with other dogs, as you can see here in the photo. They like cows too and seem to find them oddly fascinating - even the ones who decide to stand in our way, like Number 33 (see below). She was not going to move for anything short of a gun to the head so we just walked around her.

I thought that her pose was strangely reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother album cover. When I mentioned this later to my mate Huw he said, 'Or it could be Dark side of the Moo?' Ho ho.

It was a wonderful couple of hours. The weather remained fantastic and rich people waved to us poor people from their fabulous gardens and terribly expensive boats. Canada geese, swans, grebes, moorhens, mallards, black headed terns, cormorants, Aylesbury ducks and swallows - the place was a Twitcher's paradise. The ground was golden with buttercups and all was right with the world. So much so that I half expected to see Jerome K Jerome and his chums boating their way past us with Montmorency at the bow.

I have just one question, however ... who visits the Marlow Angling Club if the Public and Fishermen are banned? Surely members of the club would be both?

8 comments:

punk in writing said...

Looks like you had a lovely day. :)

potdoll said...

bliss

Me said...

Nice pics and good to read of a serene and thoroughly enjoyable day.

Jon M said...

What a brilliant sign! Is there a difference between a fisherman and an angler? Maybe fishermen drive big trawler type boats that would clog up the ponds and give them an unfair advantage! Or maybe it's a club for angles...but the obtuse ones stay away!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks for the comments guys! Curiously, I keep reading the sign as 'Marlo Wangling Club'. Apart from the fact that that's a club I'd like to join, I think that I may just have to write a story starring Marlo Wangler. What a great name.

BritGal' Sarah said...

Oh another fave place, you are singlehandedly making me homesick for the first time on nearly 3 years! I have to go to bed it's after midnight here...but I will be a regular reader

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hi Sarah - Sorry about the homesickness. I get the same whenever I find a blog or site about Cornwall, my point of origin.

As you might well know it, this bit of the Thames is at Bourne End by the Spade Oak pub where I've enjoyed many a Brakspear's Bitter and good pub grub. Hoorah!

BritGal' Sarah said...

I do know it and I also holidayed in Cornwall for years and love it too. All around Polruan and Fowey, I hope to take my Yankee Hubby there to visit someday, he will be entranced.