Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My eyes! My eyes are melting!

I may be off the grid for a day or so as tomorrow (gulp) I let some stranger loose on my eyeballs with a laser. It's been coming for a while ...

I first needed spectacles in my late 20s and my eyes have continued to deteriorate. Four years ago, I found out that I also needed reading glasses. You may recall I had a whinge about this last month in this post. And things have just gone from bad to worse ever since. So I thought, "To Heck with it ... I'm getting myself lasered!"

As I understand it, I'll need to rest them for a day or so. Some people have told me that they suffered no ill effects at all and were back to normal (and 20/20 vision) almost immediately. Others have said that it took a few days for their eyes to start working properly. So we'll see how it goes.

John Soanes has written an excellent account of his laser treatment here. Its title is one of the best puns I've seen in a while.

And coming up on the near horizon ... the Studio Space book signing at Forbidden Planet in London ... a holiday in Lanzarote ... a trip to San Diego with Murphy (the best undiscovered comic artist I know) ... and more of the same blather.

See you all soon (and more clearly)!

10 comments:

potdoll said...

good luck. my friend had it done a few years back. the morning after she awoke and was feeling around the bedside cabinet for her specs but then realised she could see and that she didn't need them. she's been super happy ever since. she swears her eye sockets are bigger too...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks Potdoll!

'Her eye sockets are bigger too ...?' That's just freakish!

potdoll said...

so she says but like me she suffers from Exaggeration Tendency so who knows if it's true.

potdoll said...

actually i don't mean the sockets, i mean there is more space between the upper and lower lids so you see more of the eye.

if that makes sense..

Blog Princess G said...

Arrrr, are me eyes deceivin' me or be it an all-new bionic Steve? Arrrrrr.... You'll be fine, dreade pirate Steve!

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Best of luck on the procedure. I am way too chicken to ever let anyone near my eyes. Here's hoping that you never need to wear specs again.

I am off to hunt for some crazy glue; as my glasses are broken (again). The tape between the lenses just isn't cutting it anymore.

Good luck and a pleasant recuperation.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks all! I'll let you know how it went!

joelmead said...

Best of luck, mate. I'll be thinking of you…

Jon M said...

Good luck Stevyn, Haven't the courage to get it done meself! Enjoy the holiday and signings and everythiong else! :-)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Wail! Sob! See the next post!