Sunday, May 04, 2008

A little late night thrill

It's 2.15am ... I've just finished work on a script and I've just experienced a little ripple of a thrill. While selecting a favourite in Firefox, I accidentally clicked the wrong link and found myself at the Pan Macmillan website. And a thought struck me ... was my book listed in their 'coming soon' section yet? So I looked. And it was. Hoorah! But even better than that ... I'm now listed on their A-Z of authors! Okay, that may not seem like much to you but it's a big deal for me. That list contains people like Douglas Adams, Aardman Animation, Isaac Asimov, David Baldacci, Ronnie Barker, David Blaine, Malcolm Bradbury, Simon Brett ... I haven't included 99% of the list and I haven't even reached C yet.

I suddenly, finally, feel like the past 18 years of hard work have all been worth it.

Strange how the silliest of things, like seeing your name on a laptop screen, can mean so much.

4 comments:

The Factory said...

It must be a wonderful feeling. I hope you savour every minute of it, and also I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that it's just this type of story that keeps the rest of us going.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks Fac!

We may have discovered a self-perpetuating engine here, because I was kept going by reading the same little triumphant stories written by others. Every time I felt like giving up, I'd be rescued and heartened by the tale of a person finally getting published following years of rejection letters. Beatrix Potter's 'Peter Rabbit' was rejected so many times she eventually self-published. Dr Seuss was told that he was 'too different' Even Anne Frank's diary was rejected because the publishers felt that 'the girl doesn't [..] have a special perception or feeling which would lift the book above the curiosity level'. It all goes to show that if you love to write, you should write and never give up trying to share it with others. Looking back, I now realise that what I was writing 18 years ago was dire - it's taken me this long to get good enough. Believe in what you do. Aim to get better. Get out and meet people. Go to lessons and seminars. Read, read, read. That's all I did. And I eventually got my reward.

I hope that anyone reading this gets their reward too.

One last thing ... Lulu offer a service whereby you can have all of your rejection letters printed onto toilet rolls. What a fab idea! I'd have enough to wipe a million bottoms. Check it out here:

http://www.lulu.com/tp

Good luck everyone!

Me said...

It did not seem at all silly to me. I was worried about commenting now there is a need to make them Intelligent Comments and Observations !

Stevyn Colgan said...

You'll always be welcome, Me! x