Saturday, May 31, 2008

The galleys have arrived

In another one of those exciting little moments on the road to being published ... the galleys for Joined-Up Thinking arrived this morning. These are the first proofs of how the book will finally look, typeset and page sorted. And they look great! Really classy.

I now have a couple of weeks to go through them with a fine-toothed comb to find the final typos before it goes off to the printers. A professional proofreader will also be doing the same thing.
The day has started well. I'm sure I'll spoil it by driving a nail through my foot or pushing the house over or something.

7 comments:

The Factory said...

I've never quite understood what galleys are. Are they just printouts of what the finished book will look like but in loose leaf form ?

Stevyn Colgan said...

You old fibber ... you've just described exactly what galleys are! Yes, they're a life-sized 1:1 print of what the pages of the book will look like when designed and typeset and illustrations placed. They're then delivered to you loose-leaf for editing.

Which means I have to read it again.

The Factory said...

Well I may have sounded as if I knew what I was talking about, but I got all that just from looking at the photos. Nice though, must be very exciting.

Me said...

Why galleys - why on earth are they called galley's - you are clever - can you tell me ?

willow said...

Congrats! Keep us posted.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Me - This from Wikipedia:

'Galley proofs or 'galleys' are so named because in the days of hand-set type, the printer would set the page into "galleys": metal frames into which the type was laid and tightened into place. These would be used to print a limited number of copies for editing mark-up. The printer would then receive the edits, re-arrange the type, and print the final version.'

So there you!

Wilow - Thanks. I will!

Blog Princess G said...

From what I can see in the photograph, the layout is a delight! Looking forward to purchasing my copy.