Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Biggest Disappointment since Star Wars Episode 1

Well ... I turned up for my eye appointment prompt and ready to go. They did some scans, several people in medical scrubs muttered over the printouts and then I was called in to a small room to meet a very kindly doctor.

"We've decided not to go ahead", he said.

Seeing the crashing disappointment on my face, he explained (I think I've remembered this pretty accurately), "Your left eye is okay so we were probably going to leave that one alone anyway. Your right eye has an astigmatism that causes your short-sightedness. However, it also has a quite abnormal shape and there is another problem (something about internal pressure?). Consequently, we don't believe that you're a suitable candidate for the treatment. We could do some surface work on the cornea but that's a lot more risky - scarring is common - plus we can't be sure it'll make any difference to your sight. Sorry."

It was a huge disappointment, especially after building it up in my head for several months. But all credit to Optimax ... they didn't force me into some treatment I didn't need and they refunded every penny (and it's not peanuts they've passed on either - my treatment was going to cost £2500). I don't need my specs to see that here is an company that seems to be more interested in patients than profits. So, good for them.

But bad for me. It's back to the spectacles for the forseeable (sorry) future.

Maybe bifocals are the answer?

8 comments:

The Factory said...

Sorry to hear of your problems. I find it a bit odd that they didn't realise all this until the proposed day of treatment.

BTW, what did you think of Star Wars episode 3 ? Oh, and as for Indy, do you have to observe aome sort of embargo ?

Blog Princess G said...

That's disappointing... but the important thing is that your eyeballs are safe. Have you tried progressive contact lenses? I'm wearing those now and they took almost no getting used to.

Blog Princess G said...

Even if you don't get a chance to actually recuperate, you can still wear your official issue dreade pirate eye patch. ARRRRRGGGHHHH....

Stevyn Colgan said...

Your Royal Canadian Highness - My eyeballs are safe, I'm getting ready for 'International Talk like a Pirate Day' on September 19th and all's well with the world. Except that I'm still seeing it through glasses. Contacts may be an option now ...

Your European Factoryness - It's Jed right? Short for Jedi maybe ...? You fanboy, you.

Episode 1 was HUGELY disappointing. Far too much politics and little enough action. Pod Race - Brilliant. Battle at the end - Brilliant. That annoying whiney kid playing Anakin - Hated him. Jar Jar Binks - Needs to be destroyed and not necessarily humanely. Midichlorians? Well done George ... you've destroyed the whole spiritual and metaphysical structure of the Star Wars universe in one ill-conceived, pseudo-scientific splurge of mumbo-jumbo. Sigh.

Episode 2 was a bit better - worth the entrance price for the Yoda/Dooku light sabre fight alone.

Episode 3 was almost on the money. certainly the best space battles ever seen. Same old wanky Lucas scripts though.

The Factory said...

Agreed on the SW prequels, nothing on Indy yet though, are you going to post on it ? It's out today I think.

And I see you have my e-mail address ? Actually it's yet another pseudonym, although nice thought that it's short for Jedi, fiendish! If you're that interested in my name e-mail me and I'll tell you, but I prefer to remain a mystery wrapped inside an enigma in blogland. That way I can vent my spleen without guilt. And besides my mother may happen across my blog and catch me using the F word, and then I'd be in trouble.

John Soanes said...

Sorry to hear that the adrenaline and time went to waste, but as you say, credit to them for not making you sign the waiver and taking your money but leaving your eyes buggered up.
Agree about SW Ep1 entirely - that and Hannibal made me seriously wonder if creators were somehow incapable of knowing how to handle their own characters after a lay-off.
But Jed Factory knows all about my feelings on the recent Star Wars films, I won't restate them here.
J

Stevyn Colgan said...

'Jedi' - If you wish to remain shrouded in mystery that's okay with me! Just don't be surprised when I reveal that you are LOrd Lucan.

John - I suspect our views of Episodes 1,2 and 3 will be similar. I've yet to meet anyone even vaguely writerly who loves the films. There were some choice moments - but a few chocolate buttons floating in a pool of sick does not make the overall product palatable.

S

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Well, that is too bad, but I commend this company for its honesty and keeping the best interests of the patient's eye health paramount.

Oh well, back to the old spectacle board...