Friday, April 25, 2008

While we're talking covers ...

... here's a quick scan of mine. I've been quite lucky with my publisher in that they've been open to my suggestions. I always knew that the cover would have to be of a certain 'type' because of the kind of book it is. Obviously, my publisher also had their own ideas. The trick was agreeing what we all wanted. I was keen that we didn't produce something that looked the same as books like Why don't penguins' feet freeze? or Can cows walk down stairs? I have nothing against them at all - they're very entertaining books - but we were aiming to publish a new kind of fact book so it needed a new kind of cover. At the same time, my publishers didn't want a clone of the QI books although we were all happy for some resonance. So Kate Forrester was a great choice as artist; her quirky style perfectly fits the quirky nature of the book.

So I've been lucky so far ... let's see what happens when I sell my second book, eh? If, indeed, I manage to do so.

You're only as good as your last book after all.

3 comments:

Annie Rhiannon said...

I love that cover! And a great quote from Stephen Fry, too.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Why thank you Annie - that means a lot to ne coming, as it does, from a real Graphic Artist ... with qualifications and everything. Good on yer girl! x

Me said...

I am pleased to see others are seeing the light and writing comments on your blog!
Although in a childish way I am sad that it no longer just a commentry between myself, Murphy and Joel and the odd anon person....