Sunday, April 06, 2008

Spring is in the air?

Ah ... April. The garden is springing to life ... there are new buds on my apple trees, my rhubarb is a foot tall, the raspberry canes are up and I have chives the height of my knee. In the greenhouse my organic home-grown courgettes, lettuces, onions, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, radishes and potatoes are all coming on very nicely. The birds are singing, the grass is getting taller and the flower beds are full of colour: daffodils, pansies and hyacinths dressed in a riot of yellows and purples. Spring is here. Or it was until this morning when we woke up to this view.

The dogs and the neighbours' kids enjoyed it. I'm not so sure that the newest and most fragile plants in my garden felt the same.

I realise that it was a pitiful fall of snow compared to what some of you suffer. But it causes chaos here in the South East because we're so unused to it. I associate snow with aggravation, inconvenience, and feeling cold and wet. I hate the stuff.

More than an inch is quite enough for me thank you.

Oo-er missus.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Crazy weather! It's been like that sll over the US as well.

Sorry to hear about your plants...

Stevyn Colgan said...

My Onions thank you for your kind thoughts.

The madness is that on Friday I was sat on the South Bank of the Thames by the Royal Festival Hall sipping iced water. I was in just a T shirt and jeans and all around me ladies flitted by in summer dresses.

Curse you Carbon for all this confusion!