Saturday, April 12, 2008

The knees of the few ...

My good friend Joel Meadows - he of Tripwire magazine - has a new book coming out shortly (May 31st). Studio Space is a rare insight into the working practices of 20 of the world's best-loved comic artists. It talks about their working environment, their inspiration, their first work and how they go about creating their art. It's a stunning book full of great photos and never-before-seen full colour artwork (Visit Joel's blog here for some previews). Among the artists featured are people like Brian Bolland, Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, Frank Miller, Dave Gibbons, Alex Ross and Walt Simonson and there's a foreword by Guillermo Del Toro.

And there's my knee.

When Joel and the people at Image were designing the cover they decided to show a colour shot of a working drawing board. Sadly, however, Joel and Gary (his co-writer) had finished their interviews and had no such shots 'in the can', as it were. So Joel asked me to photograph my drawing board and the upper shot on the cover has a crop of that photo, including a knee that I drew for a strip back in 1996. The full artwork is below.

It's a page I did for Noel K Hannan's and Rik Rawling's small press imprint Bad to the Bone. So, in some small way, I'm in the book too!

I know, I know. Desperate aren't I?

Pre-order Studio Space here at Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com. Yes, I know that there's a different cover on display but it is the same book, honest. It will be updated.

See what the lads from Bad to the Bone are up to these days. Rik Rawling is here. Noel K Hannan is here.

No comments: