Friday, February 22, 2008

Farewell C90 ... Adieu C60

This Christmas just passed saw the end of the cassette tape. High Street music shops have stopped stocking them - pre-recorded and blank - and Curry's and most other electrical retailers no longer sell machines that incorporate a tape drive. So it's goodbye C60, C90 and C120 (that always jammed). And goodbye too to fuzzy copies and poor quality. The digital age has ensured that everything we hear now is crystal clear - even 10th generation copies of copies.

To mark their passing I thought I'd dig out these two ads from the 1980s for Maxell tapes. They made me laugh.


3 comments:

Michele said...

I'm so glad you posted those! I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

I can't even tell you how many songs there are where I thought I was singing the right words, until I finally heard a digital version of it. ::blushing::

I wasn't even singing them well to begin with, but add that to the mix...It just gets sad. :-)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks for the comment Michele ... I too am dreadful at singing the right lyrics. So, like me, you may like this site: http://www.kissthisguy.com/

It had me roaring with laughter.

Michele said...

Oh my gosh, that website is hilarious. I'm crying because I'm laughing so hard, and I haven't gotten through the "B's" yet.

Thanks!