Sunday, December 09, 2007

Subconscious or Coincidence?

Following my earlier post, my partner pointed out that quite a few of my pirates look like Willie Rushton (I should point out that 2006 was a particularly piratical year for me with several buccaneer-related art contracts coming my way - see past posts). Curiously, I always thought that my pirates looked like my late father.

I guess I can see her point as I do seem to include a number of Rushton-like features in my pirates - the reddish hair, the prominent inscisors etc. But am I seeing Willie in my mind's eye as I draw? Who knows. Any psychologists out there?

Answers on a postcard please.

4 comments:

Spud said...

I alway thought they were self portraits! Seriously!!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hmmm ... a couple of other people have said that too. So did my late father look like Willie Rushton? Or, more interestingly, do I? I can't see it myself ...

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I was surprised to see you recently wrote a blog entry saying nice things about my Willie Rushton webpage from some years ago. Well, more nice things about Willie Rushton than about me, but then he is more deserving of them. I’ve recently started a blog about cartoons and sketches, and there are a few entries specifically about Willie Rushton, and also some old Private Eye and TW3 articles which feature his illustrations. It’s archiving and analysing how homosexuals have been the object of jokes, so it’s all a touch one-sided, but if you want to see some early Rushton drawings the blog address is:

http://ukjarry.blogspot.com

It’s nice to see that someone else remembers how wonderful a cartoonist Rushton was.

- matthew davis

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks Matthew - the man was a genius ... though I suspect any apparent homophobia was nothing more than an aspect of the comedy that was around at the time. Even Monty Python stooped to 'queer' and 'poof' gags ... and that was with Graham Chapman aboard. Interesting blog you run - always great to see someone championing cartoonists.