Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Rod, Back. Back, Rod.

Having been so polemical in my last post I find myself in a quandary.

One of my greatest pleasures in life is celebrating the not very good. I adore finding books and films and pieces of music, art, and poetry that are unintentionally bad. They make me laugh while, at the same time, I salute their creators for their unshakeable self-belief. Ed D Wood did make some of the funniest films of all time but set out to expose some serious celluloid. Jess Conrad and Mrs Miller recorded songs that have made me weep with laughter although they recorded them in all seriousness. The poetry of William McGonagall and Julia Moore have made me choke on my lunch.

But can I balance my newly found non-snobbery with getting enjoyment from such things? Oh dear. I may have sabotaged myself here ...

2 comments:

Tracklister said...

James Last recorded a piece of music called morning at seven, i think it was a theme to a sports program at one time.
i secretly loved it, then he did a cover version of Frankie Goes to Hollywood Two Tribes on an album, i loved that too, but in a different way.....

Stevyn Colgan said...

And the skeletons come tumbling from the closets ...