Sunday, October 07, 2007

Zen and the Art of Dog Walking

There is something quite spiritual about walking the dogs.

I have two dogs; Buster, a 13 year old Manchester Terrier/Dachshund cross (we believe), and Willow, a two year old chimaera of Staffordshire Bull Terrier and American Bulldog stock. Willow, being immensely strong and having more energy than Sellafield, needs a lot of exercise. But little Buster needs his exercise too and will run and run until his knackered knee joints start giving out and he finds himself losing coordination of his four legs and stotting and pronking like a gazelle. Meanwhile, I bimble along with them having creative thoughts and generally getting my mojo into whack.

That's what I mean when I say 'spiritual'. Walking the dogs frees me from the house and its mortgage, dirty windows, inane TV shows, dodgy boiler and lawn that needs cutting. I am instead yomping across fields, at one with nature and with not a care in the world other than that my dogs won't roll in something nasty. My mind clears and I find myself able to think without distraction. Most of my best ideas and lyrics have come to me while perambulating with the mutts.

Today I explored a couple of new fields while listening to the eerie cries of three circling red kites above me and I visualised an entire six part TV series. I won't say any more but episode one is shaping up nicely.

I absolutely do not believe in God. But I am in awe of the power of Dog.

1 comment:

Me said...

Some fabulous words!
chimaera
stotting
pronking
to name but a few.
PS - Dog and God are only a matter of a palindrome that does not work!
HA!