Sunday, September 30, 2007

Floundering

Here's a quick update on what's happening on the arty side of my world. The recent house move has provided me, for the first time in 18 years, with some studio space. I have immediately filled it with clutter naturally. But that's the way I like to work. I like to be surrounded by things that inspire me ... from sculptures by John Coppinger, to urban vinyl from James Jarvis, my many books and all kinds of strange memorabilia.

It's also allowed me to return to oil painting, a medium I never mastered at school. I hated oils. As artist icon Roger Dean once described it, 'it's like floundering around in a swamp'. How I agreed with him. But, I decided, I must have a go again. So, after an absence of some 30 years, I dug out the Linseed Oil and brushes and had a go.

I'll confess to being quite pleased with the results so far. I decided to work with simple figures until I get the hang of this 'painting with mud' business. So I returned to a concept I first developed for a business that my wife Dawn launched a few years ago - the kid in the red boots.

These are not finished of course but do give a taste of what I'm up to. I'm rather enjoying myself, I have to say. There's something quite relaxing about the slowness of oils. And I always liked the smell.

I've also posted a photo of me and one of my Party Animals sculpts. There will be a set of three, cast in super-fine plaster and handpainted. I should get the moulds made soon and start selling in mid 2008.

It's all go isn't it?

1 comment:

Me said...

Fantastic oil paintings.

Studio needs a declutter....