Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Mr Winky

So, here we are in 2007 and here's my 'work in progress'; my first painting in 30-odd years.

I found the photo of 'Mr Winky' in an old photo source book and liked it immediately. However, my numerous attempts to draw it onto the canvas failed dismally (I was determined not to trace it). Then I realised that it was probably because I'm right handed and Mr Winky was looking right. You may not be aware of this but it's a lot easier to draw someone looking left if you're a Righty. So I reversed the image and, suddenly, I had a workable drawing. I then blocked it in with an underpainting of deep red ... and completely buggered the eyes up. So, out came the brush and a spot of correction and I managed to fix it (I think). Then, I spent a chunk of New Year's Day slapping on some basic tones and trying to work out what to replace the black areas of the original high-contrast image with. By the end of the day I felt I had some semblance of a picture going. Watch this space to see how the picture progresses when the real painting starts ...
My brother-in-law found a Red Admiral butterfly happily whizzing around in his garden yesterday. January the First. This global warming business is really quite alarming isn't it?

1 comment:

joelmead said...

The weather has been weird. Feels like October here rather than January. I look forward to seeing how Mr Winky works out…