Monday, January 15, 2007

Another cosmic joke

Now here's a thing ... my mate Murphy was in Liverpool last week (or was it the week before? Hellfire! We're halfway through January already!) on an IT job. He hates IT - although he is very good at making it all work properly - and would like to leave the hard drives and data cables all behind him. He wants to be a professional artist. And why not? He's one of the most talented artists I know. But it's a big, scary leap of faith to jump from a £40k+ job with all the security that entails to starving in a garrett and praying for the art contracts to roll in. I'd say 'Go for it!' but I don't have to pay his mortgage do I?

But I digress.

He was in Liverpool and working with a local on-site IT man. And while he worked, he was chatting to me on his mobile. Anyway, as we're chatting, the Scouse Techie opens up his laptop and, lo and behold, his desktop displays a cartoon of a pirate. My cartoon of a pirate. The one I did for International Talk Like a Pirate Day. This pirate:

I've never met this man and, until last week, nor had Murphy. But now, here I was chatting to him about his desktop wallpaper. That I drew. What are the chances of that, eh?

I'd like to say that it's the oddest tale of coincidence I know. But it isn't. This is:

My personal favourite coincidence story concerns Sue Hamilton, who was working alone in her office in July 1992 when the fax machine broke down. Unable to fix it, she decided to call her colleague, Jason Pegler, who had set off for home a little earlier. Finding what looked like it might be his home phone number pinned on a notice board, she called him and began to explain the problem. But Jason quickly stopped her: 'I'm not at home', he explained. 'I just happened to be walking past this phone box when it rang, and I answered it.' The number Sue found on the notice board was not Jason's home number. It was his employee number - which just happened to be the same sequence of numbers as the number of the phone box Jason was walking past when she called.

Spooky, huh?

No comments: