Saturday, September 23, 2006

Autumn Egg-quinox

Today, if you weren't aware, is the Autumn Equinox; the day when there is the same amount of daylight as night (in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway). And there is an old story that you can balance an egg on its end during the Equinox.

What you do is this; balance the egg on its fatter, rounded end and just keep it there. It takes about 10 minutes but suddenly the egg 'settles' (you feel something like a tiny 'clunk' as it happens) and you realise that you can take your fingers away. And voila! One strangely balancing egg apparently in defiance of gravity and all reason.

So I tried it. And, to my utter surprise, it worked.

Just then, my brother-in-law (a very pragmatic and not easily impressed heating engineer) turned up. I showed him my egg. He looked for the blu-tack, wires and evidence of glue. He scratched his head. Then he snorted, grabbed an egg from the basket and, in an 'anything you can do ...' fashion, attempted to balance it on its pointy end.

And it also worked. I was amazed.

So try it for yourselves. But be quick ... the Equinox will be over at 4am tomorrow morning. Saying that, I'm pretty sure an egg will balance tomorrow too. Or, indeed, on any other day.

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

No comments: